Donald E. Jordan, Jr. – Willard C. Potts, Jr. Award
The Donald E. Jordan, Jr. – Willard C. Potts, Jr. Award recognizes exceptional work by emerging scholars in Irish Studies. It is awarded annually to the ACIS-West member judged the most meritorious emerging scholar (current graduate students and scholars within three years of having received a PhD). The recipient is chosen by a committee of ACIS-West members appointed by the President, and the award is presented at the closing banquet of the organization’s annual conference. Currently, the award is accompanied by a $500 honorarium each year, thanks to the generosity of the following donors: the Irish Literary and Historical Society of San Francisco, Kevin Drummond, Audrey and John Eyler, Tadhg Foley, Patrick and Ute Goggins, Charlotte Headrick, Marean and Alex Jordan, Eileen Kivlehan, David Lloyd, Noreen Lyday, Nora McGuinness, Timothy and Julia O’Keefe, Robert and Rebecca Tracy, and Ann and James P. Walsh.
Donald E. Jordan, Jr. (1945-2003) and Willard C. Potts, Jr. (1925-2006) were co-founders (San Francisco, 1985) of the American Conference for Irish Studies-Western Region. Dr. Jordan served as the second ACIS-W President (1986) followed by Dr. Potts (1988). As colleagues and friends, both scholars enjoyed careers as university professors; Jordan at Menlo College in California and Potts at Oregon State University. Jordan researched and wrote the history of Ireland, particularly agrarian unrest in the West of Ireland. Potts was a recognized James Joyce expert. Together, Jordan and Potts contributed their wisdom, scholarship, and good judgment to establishing the best professional, scholarly expression of Irish Studies in the American West.
Recent award winners include:
- 2016 Matt Horton (UC Berkeley)
- 2015 Brian McCabe (Claremont Graduate University)
- 2014 Elena Bergia (Queen’s University Belfast) and Camille Harrigan (Concordia University)
- 2013 Hillary Bishop (University of Liverpool)
- 2012 Sarah Kate Anderson (San Jose State University) and Justin Dolan Stover (Idaho State University)
- 2011 Raina Celnik-Hicky (San Francisco State University) and Cian McMahon (University of Nevada Los Vegas)
- 2010 Kara Donnelly (New York University)